Savannah Guides Schools
Savannah Guides Schools are the organisation’s workshops, bringing together tour guides, operators, Traditional Owners, National Parks Rangers, tourism and government representatives, researchers and other like-minded individuals. Two Savannah Guides Schools are held each year at varying locations across the savannahs, featuring experts in fields such as ecology, traditional culture, geology, land management, guiding technique and tourism. They are usually four days in length with many activities in the field. We have an affordable registration fee plus accommodation and camping options to suit all participants.
Our Northern Territory Schools are proudly supported by Tourism NT and our Queensland Schools are proudly supported by Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service, and Tourism and Events Queensland.
Savannah Guides Schools are a part of a framework helping guides to achieve and maintain a high level of professionalism. Many individuals and operators use the Schools to enter the tourism industry, set staff professionalism benchmarks, refresh technical knowledge, make network contacts or simply explore a new region behind the scenes in a fun, educational setting. Sharing knowledge is a key part of our ethos and everyone is welcome at a Savannah Guides School.
Some participant comments:
“I came to the School not knowing what to expect and as a real novice I was blown away by how welcoming and willing to share knowledge everyone was – couldn’t recommend this event highly enough.”
“The Savannah Guides School has been the best value for money workshop I have ever attended. The opportunities for deep and genuine cross cultural learning were an absolute highlight.”
“The experience is great – relevant and practical. It has been very valuable for an organisation rep who is a non-guide and first-timer.”
Participating in a School is the best way to consider whether Savannah Guides can support your professional development, networks or skills. School participation is an element in becoming a member of Savannah Guides, should individuals or enterprises wish to pursue this opportunity.
The next Savannah Guides School will be held at Adel’s Grove 15-18 October 2015.
This School will feature visits to Boodjamulla National Park and Lawn Hill Gorge as well as the World Heritage Listed Riversleigh Fossil Fields. The Information and Registration Form will be posted on this page in the coming months. If you’d like to be notified when it is available please subscribe to our e-newsletter here.
We hope to see you at Adel’s Grove!
Past Guide Schools
Savannah Guides Schools have been held at:
- El Questro 9-12 October 2014
- Alice Springs 12-15 October 2013
- Chillagoe 18-21 April 2013
- Nitmiluk National Park: 1-4 November 2012
- Capricorn Caves 12-15 April 2012
- Mount Bundy NT – 27-30 October 2011
- Darwin NT: 24-27 March 2011
- Tropical Tablelands Qld: 28-31 October 2010
- Undara Experience Qld: 18-21 March 2010
- Darwin NT: 19-22 Nov 2009
- Darwin NT: Savannah Symposium 17-21 Nov 2009
- Winton Qld: 26-29 Mar 2009
- Katherine NT: 6-9 Nov 2008
- Cobbold Gorge Qld: 27-30 March 2008
- Cape York Qld: Oct 29 to Nov 2 2007
- Kakadu National Park NT: 12-15 April 2007
- Townsville Qld: 27-30 October 2006
- Mary River Park NT: 1-4 April 2006
- Cairns Qld: 17-20 November 2005
- Lake Bennett NT: 07-10 April 2005
- Mt Surprise & Cobbold Gorge Qld: 16-19 March 2005
- Kununurra WA: 04-07 November 2004
- Longreach and Australia’s Dinosaur Trail: 11-14 March 2004
- Darwin NT: November 2003
- Cooktown Qld: 3-6 April 2003
- Katherine NT: 10-13 April 2003
- Undara Experience Qld: 14-17 November 2002
- Pine Creek NT: 11-14 April 2002
- Adel’s Grove Qld: 25-28 April 2002
- Kakadu National Park NT: 22-25 November 2001
- Mt. Surprise Qld: 26-29 April 2001
- El Questro WA: 5-8 April 2001
- Longreach Qld: 26-29 October 2000
- Mount Borradaile, Arnhem Land NT: 28-30 April 2000
- Mareeba Wetlands Qld: 6-9 April 2000
- Katherine NT: 28-31 October 1999
- Normanton Qld: 15-18 April 1999
- Mataranka NT: October 1998
- Undara Qld: April 1998
- Tyrconnell Qld: October 1997
- Hells Gate Qld: 18-20 April 1997
- Lawn Hill Qld: October 1996
- Cobbold Gorge Qld: April 1996